3 superfood soup! This soup is wonderful in both its brothy and creamy versions. The brothy version is quick and perfect for weeknight comfort. The creamy version adds another level of flavor and involves an immersion blender and a little more time and effort. This soup also allows me to take advantage of all of those delicious local apple ciders in both NY and MA.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1T olive oil
3 C apple cider
1 T or about 1″ peeled fresh ginger, whole or sliced
1 cinnamon stick
2 black peppercorns
1 14.5 oz can pumpkin (sweet potato or even frozen butternut squash would also work here)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for garnish
1) Optional: place ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves in a teabag or cheesecloth
2) In 3-qt saucepan, Simmer cider, ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves for 10-15 minutes. Remove spices.
3) Stir in Pumpkin until it dissolves into soup. Salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with optional pumpkin seeds.
Prep Time: 35-40 minutes
1) In 3-qt saucepan, saute 1 small onion (diced) with 1 T olive oil and pinch salt until soft (5-10 min)
2) Optional: cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves in a teabag or cheesecloth
3) Add 1.5-2 C Cider, ginger, and spices. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove spices.
4) Add (optional) 1/2 C silken tofu for a hit of protein. Puree with immersion blender. Salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with optional pumpkin seeds.