Mix regular button mushrooms with a more exotic variety to push those buttons into deeper mushroom flavor. Try this with any recipe that calls for exotic mushrooms to stretch your dollars.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
10-12 oz white mushrooms (one supermarket package), stemmed, halved or quartered if large
10-12 oz crimini or other mushrooms (one supermarket package), stemmed, halved or quartered if large
1 lb winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4″ chunks
1 onion, diced
1 T thyme
2 T olive oil
1/2 c stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan.
2. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Stir in the thyme.
3. Add Squash. Saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add Mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Saute 5 minutes more.
5. Raise heat to high and add stock. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until squash is tender.